.
{Did you know it's now super easy to pin images from ReMarkable Home?! Just hover over any image on the site and you will see the Pinterest icon show up in the top right hand corner. Just click and PIN ....even if you are on the homepage. The correct link will be pinned}

5.18.2011

LITTLE MAN STAMPED PAPER PLATES {Party}

I bought some white paper plates at the dollar store for my Little Man shower.  Today I saw much nicer plates at Wal-Mart for 97 cents.  So, I am MAD!  I can’t return them because I have already stamped mustaches onto the dinner plates and bowties onto the dessert plates.  I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

IMG_5260

I traced a mustache onto a new foam sponge and then used an Xacto knife to cut around the shape.  Once I had cut down into the sponge around the mustache about 1/4”, I used some little trimming scissors to cut away the excess to create a raised stamp shape.IMG_5254

I mixed some of this black paste food coloring with a couple tablespoons or so of powdered sugar and a few drops of water.IMG_5257

I mixed mine on a dark brown plate since I was using black and didn’t want to risk dying one of my white plates.  I just experimented with the consistency until it seemed to work alright stamping it.  I originally tried to do just food coloring and water but it didn’t stick at all.  I also tried just some ink (not on this sponge) but it never got dry on the glossy surface of the plate.  The puddle of goo was about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch deep.IMG_5255

I simply pressed the sponge into the goo and then looked to make sure it all seemed well covered, then gently pressed it onto the plate.  Some of them turned out better than others.  But I think the effect if perfect!  Here is the bowtie.IMG_5265

Then I just set them aside to dry.  Once dry, I was able to stack them all up on each other again.  I am wondering how black people’s mouths are going to get from eating off these.  I will keep you posted on that!IMG_5261

12 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Those are soooo cute, Emily! I would never have thought of using food dye! (DUH, NAT!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute! This is going to be quite the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Featured your great idea on my site today and also on my Facebook page! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this clever idea and am sharing it on my blog today....THANKS!!!

    http://marcicoombs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. in LOVE with this theme!! There aren't as many fun themes for baby boys. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did the dye come off onto the food?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dye did come off a little bit, but it wasn't a big deal. It didn't make everyone's mouth black or anything. I would do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did u get the bow tie template??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an awesome idea! I'm sooo doing this for my friends baby shower. How long does it take them to dry?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might do this ... I love the idea. Do you think acrylic paint would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't eat off a plate with acrylic paint. I am sure there is some type of food paint out there somewhere.

      Delete

I appreciate comments so much! I love to hear your thoughts or answer your questions. Thank you for taking the time to comment! Some Firefox users have had trouble commenting. PLEASE email me at remarkablehome@gmail.com if you have any problem commenting. Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips