.
{Did you know it's now super easy to pin images from ReMarkable Home?! Just hover over any image on the site and you will see the Pinterest icon show up in the top right hand corner. Just click and PIN ....even if you are on the homepage. The correct link will be pinned}

9.01.2011

CUPCAKES for DINNER {Recipe}

We had cupcakes for dinner tonight.  Yes, you read that right.  We had cupcakes for dinner and boy were they good!  Aren’t they delicious looking??

IMG_6498

My kids were pretty excited when they asked what was for dinner and I told them “Cupcakes.”  They didn’t ask me what flavor of cupcakes, and I will admit some of them were a little disappointed to find out I had made them

Meatloaf and Mashed Potato Cupcakes! 

My husband, on the other hand, could not have been happier!

I tried out a new meatloaf recipe for these.  You can find it over at Peppermint Plum.  I didn’t have french fried onions so I thought I would use some onion soup mix instead.  When I went to make the meatloaf I discovered I was also out of onion soup mix.  So, I used some french onion dip mix.  They were good.  Meatloaf is not my favorite, but my husband really liked them.  I think I will like them better tomorrow as a sandwich!

So, here is how I made the cupcakes.  I made the meatloaf by combining the ingredients in my Kitchen Aid.  Then I used my trusty ice cream scoop to portion the meat into foil cupcake liners.  I pressed them down flat and topped each with some ketchup.

IMG_6484

While they baked I made my garlic mashed potatoes, which I dyed pink with food coloring.  Just make your favorite mashed potatoes.  You could leave them white…I was just really trying to trick my kids!

I used a large star pastry tip to pipe the “frosting” onto the meatloaves once they were cooked.  Now, hopefully you are more skilled than I at making creamy, smooth mashed potatoes because mine had a few lumps that kinda got stuck in the tip and made it difficult to pipe. 

After I got the potatoes on I put them back in the oven under the broiler to try to brown the edges a bit and warm the potatoes a bit more as they had cooled down a bit.  I think the browning would have looked a lot better on un-colored potatoes.

IMG_6491

IMG_6489

This was a fun dinner to have.  I hope you will try it sometime!

9 comments:

  1. Holy moly, these are the coolest things ever! So awesome. And they look delicious! :)

    -Annie @ {PeppermintPlum}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha~That is such a great idea! I am going to have to use this one for sure! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea and really look good too! Sure going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever! I was trying to guess what the "frosting" was. The color threw me off! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I have to say, as a hater of mashed potatoes, these look AMAZING! I thought they were actual frosting cupcakes!! What kinds of faces did you see when your kids took a bite?

    Awesome post!

    Feel free to link up to my new blog hop: Make Yourself Monday... I'd love to have you!!

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe these will get my kids to eat. ;) I bet if I told them we were having cupcakes for dinner, they'd be bummed to find that it wasn't the sweet kind. These are still cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. vanessa sosa washingtonOctober 8, 2011 at 9:22 PM

    That is such a great idea. We always have get-togethers and potlucks for my husbands work. This is a must for the next one. I might add a little drizzle of gravy on the top. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!! I have to give it a try :)
    Love your blog, you have a new follower!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments so much! I love to hear your thoughts or answer your questions. Thank you for taking the time to comment! Some Firefox users have had trouble commenting. PLEASE email me at remarkablehome@gmail.com if you have any problem commenting. Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips